In this piece of writing, I am going to explain Compound nouns in English with Example Sentences. A compound noun is one of the eight types of noun. The other seven types of noun are Concrete Nouns, Abstract Nouns, Common Nouns, Proper Nouns, Countable Nouns, Uncountable Nouns, and Collective Nouns.
Many compound nouns are used throughout the English language, and learning as much as possible is vital to creating more precise and natural-sounding sentences.
Read Also: Cool Words That Start with M
This section will present an extensive list of compound nouns often used in written and spoken English.
What is a Noun?
One of the easiest explanations for understanding the meaning of a noun is that it is a word used for the person, object, place, idea, event, quality, quantity, and substance. A noun is one of the nine parts of speech. The other eight are pronouns, interjections, verbs, adjectives, prepositions, articles, conjunctions, and adverbs.
You can find here an interesting article: Adjectives That Start With M
What are Compound Nouns in English?
Compound Nouns Definition: A compound noun is a noun made up of two or more words.
Following are the common compound nouns.
Boyfriend, classroom, billboard, cowboy, and firefly.
Also read: What is a Noun in English Grammar?
What is a compound nouns list and how do you use them to improve your English writing and speaking? These are the questions you’ll get the answers to in this detailed article.
Full List of Compound Nouns
There are about 80000 to 150000 nouns that are part of the English language. They are divided into noun categories according to how each type of noun is used. There are about 500 essential compound nouns in English.
Also Read: Positive Words That Start With M
Example Sentences of Compound Nouns
In the following example sentences, compound nouns are highlighted in italics/Bold. While reading, think about whenever using different compound nouns.
- A barber makes a perfect haircut of mine.
- A thief was caught red-handed stealing things in the bedroom.
- Polar bears live in the north and south poles.
- She is asking to write something on the blackboard.
- They learn to swim in the swimming pool.
- A greenhouse is a place where we grow plants.
- A bluebird is a type of bird.
- We have to wait for bus number 14 at the bus stop.
- A full moon has its importance.
- We played football today for two hours.
Compound Nouns Exercise
These exercises will help you understand the compound nouns in sentences. To complete each sentence, choose the best answer.
Compound Nouns Exercise Solved:
Compound Nouns InfoGraphics
Here are some printable infographics about list of compound nouns. Printable infographics are a fantastic way to share a significant amount of details in a short time in a stunning way. The list of compound nouns infographics can help teachers and students to share their thoughts easily.
With this set of compound nouns, you will quickly determine whether you are making the most effective use of the nouns and how they could be used to enhance your English writing skills.
Since the nouns are the main part of English Grammar, the importance of developing English learning skills cannot be undervalued without compound nouns.
You can read the above example sentences about compound nouns to improve your understanding of English grammar.
Encourage your children to learn these basic but common rules for using compound nouns with example sentences, by following the simple example sentences given above. Then, save this list of compound nouns, handy for your kids in the future to improve English vocabulary.
If you enjoyed a printable infographic about compound nouns, I’d be very thankful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to your friends or sharing it on Pinterest, Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook. Thank you!
Also read: E Adjectives to Describe a Person
Recap of what we just learned
- Compound nouns in English with Useful Examples
- What is a Noun?
- What are compound nouns?
- Compound Examples
- List of compound nouns
- Example Sentences of compound Nouns in English
- Compound Exercise
- Compound Solved Exercise
- Compound InfoGraphics
- Compound Quiz
With ESLBLOCK, you will not face problems studying new ideas. If you are in doubt, about the qualities of blog posts about compound nouns, reach us through our blog’s comment section. Keep checking back! We’ll attempt to give you feedback as early as possible. Thank you!
Also read: Positive Words That Start With M
Compound Nouns Quiz
Explore the full list of Adjectives to Describe a Person from A to Z!
- A Adjectives to Describe a Person
- B Adjectives to Describe a Person
- C Adjectives to Describe a Person
- D Adjectives to Describe a Person
- E Adjectives to Describe a Person
- F Adjectives to Describe a Person
- G Adjectives to Describe a Person
- H Adjectives to Describe a Person
- I Adjectives to Describe a Person
- J Adjectives to Describe a Person
- K Adjectives to Describe a Person
- L Adjectives to Describe a Person
- M Adjectives to Describe a Person
- N Adjectives to Describe a Person
- O Adjectives to Describe a Person
- P Adjectives to Describe a Person
- Q Adjectives to Describe a Person
- R Adjectives to Describe a Person
- S Adjectives to Describe a Person
- T Adjectives to Describe a Person
- U Adjectives to Describe a Person
- V Adjectives to Describe a Person
- W Adjectives to Describe a Person
- X Adjectives to Describe a Person
- Y Adjectives to Describe a Person
- Z Adjectives to Describe a Person