In this piece of writing, I am going to explain Proper nouns in English with Example Sentences. A proper noun is one of the eight types of noun. The other seven types of noun are Concrete Nouns, Abstract Nouns, Common Nouns, Proper Nouns, Countable Nouns, Uncountable Nouns, Collective Nouns, and Compound Nouns.
Many proper nouns are used throughout the English language, and learning as much as possible is vital to creating more precise and natural-sounding sentences.
Read Also: Cool Words That Start with H
This section will present an extensive list of proper nouns often used in written and spoken English.
What is a Noun?
One of the easiest explanations for understanding the meaning of a noun is that it is a word used for the person, object, place, idea, event, quality, quantity, and substance. A noun is one of the nine parts of speech. The other eight are pronouns, interjections, verbs, adjectives, prepositions, articles, conjunctions, and adverbs.
You can find here an interesting article: Adjectives That Start With H
What are Proper Nouns in English?
Proper Nouns Definition: A Proper Noun is a very specific, very particular person, place, or thing. proper nouns are capitalized their first letter.
Following are the common proper nouns.
|Common noun||Proper noun|
|country, town||England, London, Islamabad|
|company||SpaceX, Ford, Sony, Tesla|
|shop, restaurant||Amazon, Subway, eBay|
|month, day of the week||January, March, Sunday, Monday|
|book, film||War and Peace, Titanic|
Also read: What is a Noun in English Grammar?
What is a proper nouns list and how do you use them to improve your English writing and speaking? These are the questions you’ll get the answers to in this detailed article.
Full List of Proper Nouns
There are about 80000 to 150000 nouns that are part of the English language. They are divided into noun categories according to how each type of noun is used. There are about 1000 essential proper nouns in English.
|Agatha Christie||Guinea||Palestine State|
|Algeria||Guyana||Papua New Guinea|
|Antigua and Barbuda||Heidi||Pennsylvania|
|Atlantic Ocean||Honduras||Peter pan|
|Black||Jennifer Lopez||Saint Kitts and Nevis|
|Bolivia||John||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||Jordan||Samoa|
|Brunei||Justin||Sao Tome and Principe|
|California||Lady Gaga||Sierra Leone|
|Central African Republic||Liberia||Solomon Islands|
|Czechia (Czech Republic)||Mauritania||Tajikistan|
|Democratic Republic of the Congo||Mexico||Tokyo|
|Djibouti||Micronesia||Trinidad and Tobago|
|England||Mount Everest||United Arab Emirates|
|Equatorial Guinea||Myanmar (formerly Burma)||United state|
|Eritrea||Namibia||United States of America|
|Eswatini (fmr. “Swaziland”)||Nauru||USA|
|New york||Van Gogh|
|Gabon||North Korea||War and peace|
|Gambia||North Macedonia||White house|
Also Read: Positive Words That Start With H
Examples of Proper Nouns
In the following example sentences, proper nouns are highlighted in italics/Bold. While reading, think about whenever using different proper nouns.
- Can you ask Mom to close the door?
- Emma and Charlotte took their dog Bailey for a walk.
- I hope Mrs. John is my teacher next month.
- My favorite cartoon character is Jerry.
- I have to work on Sunday.
- This Monday is the fifth.
- Come to my house in March for the party.
- Is your birthday in June?
- Doctor Smith took care of my broken arm.
- We have voted for President Trump.
- The Greenply plywoods are considered the best plywoods.
- The Christmas festival is celebrated in December.
- In India, the cow is a sacred animal.
- After the accident, Sophia was dazed.
- She’ll arrive in Washington at noon.
- Only Amelia and I have read the book.
- The last day in April is Sunday.
- He is studying at Stanford University.
- We are going to Disneyland tomorrow.
- English is a widely spoken language.
Proper Nouns Exercise
These exercises will help you understand the proper nouns in sentences. To complete each sentence, choose the best answer.
- __________ steered the ship.
- __________ is my favorite singer.
- __________ is an incredible player.
- She plays for __________.
- She was born in __________.
- She moved to __________ when he was young.
- He lives in __________.
- __________ is her mentor.
- He has a dog named __________.
- Her friend __________ accompanies her.
Proper Nouns Exercise Solution:
- Captain Hook steered the ship.
- Taylor Swift is my favorite singer.
- Isabella is an incredible player.
- She plays for Sydney Sixers.
- She was born in New York.
- She moved to the United States when he was young.
- He lives in England.
- Michael Clarke is her mentor.
- He has a dog named Doddy.
- Her friend Benjamin accompanies her.
Proper Nouns InfoGraphics
Here are some printable infographics about list of proper nouns. Printable infographics are a fantastic way to share a significant amount of details in a short time in a stunning way. The list of proper nouns infographics can help teachers and students to share their thoughts easily.
With this set of proper nouns, you will quickly determine whether you are making the most effective use of the nouns and how they could be used to enhance your English writing skills.
Since the nouns are the main part of English Grammar, the importance of developing English learning skills cannot be undervalued without proper nouns.
You can read the above example sentences about proper nouns to improve your understanding of English grammar.
Encourage your children to learn these basic but common rules for using proper nouns with example sentences, by following the simple example sentences given above. Then, save this list of proper nouns, handy for your kids in the future to improve English vocabulary.
If you enjoyed a printable infographic about proper nouns, I’d be very thankful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to your friends or sharing it on Pinterest, Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook. Thank you!
Also read: H Adjectives to Describe a Person
Recap of what we just learned
- Proper nouns in English with Useful Examples
- What is a Noun?
- What are proper nouns?
- Proper Examples
- List of proper nouns
- Example Sentences of proper Nouns in English
- Proper Exercise
- Proper Solved Exercise
- Proper InfoGraphics
- Proper Quiz
With ESLBLOCK, you will not face problems studying new ideas. If you are in doubt, about the qualities of blog posts about proper nouns, reach us through our blog’s comment section. Keep checking back! We’ll attempt to give you feedback as early as possible. Thank you!
Also read: Positive Words That Start With H
Proper Nouns Quiz
Explore the full list of Adjectives to Describe a Person from A to Z!
- A Adjectives to Describe a Person
- B Adjectives to Describe a Person
- C Adjectives to Describe a Person
- D Adjectives to Describe a Person
- E Adjectives to Describe a Person
- F Adjectives to Describe a Person
- G Adjectives to Describe a Person
- H Adjectives to Describe a Person
- I Adjectives to Describe a Person
- J Adjectives to Describe a Person
- K Adjectives to Describe a Person
- L Adjectives to Describe a Person
- M Adjectives to Describe a Person
- N Adjectives to Describe a Person
- O Adjectives to Describe a Person
- P Adjectives to Describe a Person
- Q Adjectives to Describe a Person
- R Adjectives to Describe a Person
- S Adjectives to Describe a Person
- T Adjectives to Describe a Person
- U Adjectives to Describe a Person
- V Adjectives to Describe a Person
- W Adjectives to Describe a Person
- X Adjectives to Describe a Person
- Y Adjectives to Describe a Person
- Z Adjectives to Describe a Person