In this piece of writing, I am going to explain Countable nouns in English with Example Sentences. A countable noun is one of the eight types of noun. The other seven types of noun are Concrete Nouns, Abstract Nouns, Common Nouns, Proper Nouns, Uncountable Nouns, Collective Nouns, and Compound Nouns.
Many countable nouns are used throughout the English language, and learning as much as possible is vital to creating more precise and natural-sounding sentences.
Read Also: Cool Words That Start with J
This section will present an extensive list of countable nouns often used in written and spoken English.
What is a Noun?
One of the easiest explanations for understanding the meaning of a noun is that it is a word used for the person, object, place, idea, event, quality, quantity, and substance. A noun is one of the nine parts of speech. The other eight are pronouns, interjections, verbs, adjectives, prepositions, articles, conjunctions, and adverbs.
You can find here an interesting article: Adjectives That Start With J
What are Countable Nouns in English?
Countable Nouns Definition: A countable noun is a noun that can be counted. Countable nouns can be used with the, a/an, any, some, a few, many, etc.
- Here is a cat.
Cat is singular and countable.
- Here are a few cats.
Dogs are plural and countable.
Also read: What is a Noun in English Grammar?
What is a countable nouns list and how do you use them to improve your English writing and speaking? These are the questions you’ll get the answers to in this detailed article.
Full List of Countable Nouns
There are about 80000 to 150000 nouns that are part of the English language. They are divided into noun categories according to how each type of noun is used. There are about 500 essential countable nouns in English.
Also Read: Positive Words That Start With J
Examples of Countable Nouns
In the following example sentences, countable nouns are highlighted in italics/Bold. While reading, think about whenever using different countable nouns.
- She bought a book of biology.
- The book has 273 pages in it.
- It has 17 chapters in it.
- Each chapter covers 7 topics.
- William has five pencils.
- He also has two erasers.
- He has a bike.
- The bike contains two wheels.
- She had a dog when she was young.
- The dog used to eat a cookie every day.
Countable Nouns Exercise
These exercises will help you understand the countable nouns in sentences. To complete each sentence, choose the best answer.
- Alex has one __________.
- Amelia adopted two __________.
- Can I borrow these three __________?
- How many __________ do you have?
- I’ll have __________.
- I took home four __________.
- They need more __________ in our house.
- Bring her a __________ of water.
- Her book is on the kitchen __________.
- There are at least ten Chinese __________ in New York.
- Alex has one cat.
- Amelia adopted two puppies.
- Can I borrow these three books?
- How many glass do you have?
- I’ll have a coin.
- I took home four cats.
- They need more TVs in our house.
- Bring her a glass of water.
- Her book is on the kitchen table.
- There are at least ten Chinese restaurants in New York.
Countable Nouns InfoGraphics
Here are some printable infographics about list of countable nouns. Printable infographics are a fantastic way to share a significant amount of details in a short time in a stunning way. The list of countable nouns infographics can help teachers and students to share their thoughts easily.
With this set of countable nouns, you will quickly determine whether you are making the most effective use of the nouns and how they could be used to enhance your English writing skills.
Since the nouns are the main part of English Grammar, the importance of developing English learning skills cannot be undervalued without countable nouns.
You can read the above example sentences about countable nouns to improve your understanding of English grammar.
Encourage your children to learn these basic but common rules for using countable nouns with example sentences, by following the simple example sentences given above. Then, save this list of countable nouns, handy for your kids in the future to improve English vocabulary.
If you enjoyed a printable infographic about countable nouns, I’d be very thankful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to your friends or sharing it on Pinterest, Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook. Thank you!
Also read: J Adjectives to Describe a Person
Recap of what we just learned
- Countable nouns in English with Useful Examples
- What is a Noun?
- What are Countable nouns?
- Countable Examples
- List of countable nouns
- Example Sentences of Countable Nouns in English
- Countable Exercise
- Countable Solved Exercise
- Countable InfoGraphics
- Countable Quiz
With ESLBLOCK, you will not face problems studying new ideas. If you are in doubt, about the qualities of blog posts about countable nouns, reach us through our blog’s comment section. Keep checking back! We’ll attempt to give you feedback as early as possible. Thank you!
Also read: Positive Words That Start With J
Countable Nouns Quiz
Explore the full list of Adjectives to Describe a Person from A to Z!
- A Adjectives to Describe a Person
- B Adjectives to Describe a Person
- C Adjectives to Describe a Person
- D Adjectives to Describe a Person
- E Adjectives to Describe a Person
- F Adjectives to Describe a Person
- G Adjectives to Describe a Person
- H Adjectives to Describe a Person
- I Adjectives to Describe a Person
- J Adjectives to Describe a Person
- K Adjectives to Describe a Person
- L Adjectives to Describe a Person
- M Adjectives to Describe a Person
- N Adjectives to Describe a Person
- O Adjectives to Describe a Person
- P Adjectives to Describe a Person
- Q Adjectives to Describe a Person
- R Adjectives to Describe a Person
- S Adjectives to Describe a Person
- T Adjectives to Describe a Person
- U Adjectives to Describe a Person
- V Adjectives to Describe a Person
- W Adjectives to Describe a Person
- X Adjectives to Describe a Person
- Y Adjectives to Describe a Person
- Z Adjectives to Describe a Person