In this piece of writing, I am going to explain Irregular Verbs in English with Useful Examples. An Irregular verbs is one of the six types of verb. The other five types of verb are regular verbs, modal verbs, dynamic verbs, stative verbs, and auxiliary verbs.
Many irregular verbs are used throughout the English language, and it’s vital to learn as much as possible to create more precise and natural-sounding sentences.
Read Also: Cool Words That Start with E
This section will present an extensive list of irregular verbs often used in written and spoken English.
What is a Verb?
A verb is a word that we use to refer to actions (what something does) and states of being (how something is).
You can find here an interesting article: Adjectives That Start With E
What are Irregular Verbs in English?
Irregular Verbs Definition: Irregular verbs are one of the simple and common types of verbs. A verb in which the past tense is not formed by adding the usual -ed or -d at the end. Following are the common irregular verbs.
Also read: What is a Verb in English Grammar?
What is an irregular verb list and how do you use them to improve your English writing and speaking? These are the questions you’ll get the answers to in this detailed article.
Full List of Irregular Verbs
There are about 60000 to 100000 verbs that are part of the English language. They are divided into verb categories according to how each type of verb is used. There are about 500 common irregular verbs in English.
|bear||bore||borne / born|
|beget||begat / begot||begotten|
|bid||bid / bade||bid / bidden|
|burn||burned or burnt||burned or burnt|
|burn||burnt / burned||burnt / burned|
|can||could||… (been able)|
|chide||chid / chode||chid / chidden|
|clothe||clad / clothed||clad / clothed|
|dive||dived||dived / dove|
|dream||dreamed, dreamt||dreamed, dreamt|
|dream||dreamed or dreamt||dreamed or dreamt|
|dream||dreamt / dreamed||dreamt / dreamed|
|dwell||dwelt||dwelt / dwelled|
|fit||fitted, fit||fitted, fit|
|forget||forgot||forgotten / forgot|
|get||got||got (sometimes gotten)|
|get||got||gotten / got|
|hang (a picture)||hung||hung|
|hang (to put to death)||hanged||hanged|
|kneel||kneeled, knelt||kneeled, knelt|
|kneel||knelt / knelled||knelt / kneeled|
|lean||leant / leaned||leant / leaned|
|leap||leapt / leaped||leapt / leaped|
|learn||learned or learnt||learned or learnt|
|lie (in bed)||lay||lain|
|lie (tell a falsehood)||lied||lied|
|lie (to not tell the truth)||lied||lied|
|light||lighted, lit||lighted, lit|
|light||lit / lighted||lit / lighted|
|mow||mowed||mowed / mown|
|plead||pled / pleaded||pled / pleaded|
|prove||proved||proven / proved|
|saw||saw / sawed||sawn / sawed|
|show||showed||showed or shown|
|sink||sank / sunk||sunk / sunken|
|sow||sowed||sown / sowed|
|spill||spilt / spilled||spilt / spilled|
|spit||spat, spit||spat, spit|
|spit||spat / spit||spat / spit|
|strew||strewed||strewn / strewed|
|strike||struck||stricken / struck|
|sweat||sweat / sweated||sweat / sweated|
|swell||swelled / sweated||swollen|
|thrive||throve / thrived||thriven / thrived|
|wake up||woke up||waked up, woken up|
|wet||wet / wetted||wet / wetted|
Also Read: Positive Words That Start With E
Examples of Irregular Verbs
In the following example sentences, irregular verbs are highlighted in italics/Bold. While reading, think about whenever using different irregular verbs.
- She writes a letter to her husband.
- They wake me up early in the morning.
- You can understand my feelings.
- You guys make her crazy.
- Amelia throws a football very high into the sky.
- If you want to tell me something, please tell me!
- You take all these vegetables to your home.
- I come every day to swim in this river.
- We can sit here.
- This phone rings every day at this time.
Irregular Verbs Exercise
These exercises will help you understand the irregular verbs in sentences. To complete each sentence, choose the best answer.
- I __________ her crying in the garden.
- The flag pole __________ in the wind.
- One of them __________ my t-shirt in practice.
- Did she make the cake?
- It __________ her feelings.
- Somebody __________ my bike.
- Your phone __________ continuously for five minutes.
- He __________ an important email.
- You __________ your keys in his shop.
- Amelia had __________ all the diamonds from the shop.
- I saw her crying in the garden.
- The flag pole bends in the wind.
- One of them tore my t-shirt in practice.
- Did she make the cake?
- It hurt her feelings.
- Somebody stole my bike.
- Your phone rang continuously for five minutes.
- He sent an important email.
- You left your keys in his shop.
- Amelia had stolen all the diamonds from the shop.
Irregular Verbs InfoGraphics
Here are some printable infographics about list of Irregular Verbs. Printable infographics are a fantastic way to share a significant amount of details in a short time in a stunning way. The list of Irregular Verbs infographics can help teachers and students to share their thoughts easily.
With this set of List of Irregular Verbs, you will quickly determine whether you are making the most effective use of the verbs and how they could be used to enhance your English writing skills.
Since the verbs are the main part of English Grammar, the importance of developing English learning skills cannot be undervalued without list of irregular verbs.
You can read the above example sentences about irregular verbs to improve your understanding of English grammar.
Encourage your children to learn these basic but common rules for using irregular verbs with example sentences, by following the simple example sentences given above. Then, save this list of irregular verbs, handy for your kids in the future to improve English vocabulary.
If you enjoyed a printable infographic about List of Irregular Verbs, I’d be very thankful if you’d help it spread by emailing it to your friends or sharing it on Pinterest, Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook. Thank you!
Also read: E Adjectives to Describe a Person
Recap of what we just learned
- Irregular Verbs in English with Useful Examples
- What is a Verb?
- What are Irregular Verbs?
- Irregular Verbs Examples
- List of Irregular Verbs
- Example Sentences of Irregular Verbs in English
- Irregular Verbs Exercise
- Irregular Verbs Solved Exercise
- Irregular Verbs InfoGraphics
- Irregular Verbs Quiz
With ESLBLOCK, you will not face problems studying new ideas. If you are in doubt, about the qualities of blog posts about irregular verbs, reach us through our blog’s comment section. Keep checking back! We’ll attempt to give you feedback as early as possible. Thank you!
Also read: Positive Words That Start With E
Regular Verbs Quiz
Explore the full list of Adjectives to Describe a Person from A to Z!
- A Adjectives to Describe a Person
- B Adjectives to Describe a Person
- C Adjectives to Describe a Person
- D Adjectives to Describe a Person
- E Adjectives to Describe a Person
- F Adjectives to Describe a Person
- G Adjectives to Describe a Person
- H Adjectives to Describe a Person
- I Adjectives to Describe a Person
- J Adjectives to Describe a Person
- K Adjectives to Describe a Person
- L Adjectives to Describe a Person
- M Adjectives to Describe a Person
- N Adjectives to Describe a Person
- O Adjectives to Describe a Person
- P Adjectives to Describe a Person
- Q Adjectives to Describe a Person
- R Adjectives to Describe a Person
- S Adjectives to Describe a Person
- T Adjectives to Describe a Person
- U Adjectives to Describe a Person
- V Adjectives to Describe a Person
- W Adjectives to Describe a Person
- X Adjectives to Describe a Person
- Y Adjectives to Describe a Person
- Z Adjectives to Describe a Person